Monday, January 28, 2008

Hola, el señor presidente.

I have to start off by saying that up to this point, El señor presidente has been a relief and much more enjoyable compared to Facundo. One similarity that I have noticed is that though the novel is titled The President, there has not been much talk regarding the President yet. Perhaps this was because both books were written as an act of revolting with words; thus having to be subtle in accusations.
Within the first half of the novel, characterization seems to have been the main focus. I thought this was in ways very similar to Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s Chronicle of a Death Foretold (which is a really good book, if you haven’t read it). It also seems a bit like a mystery novel, sort of. It’s hard to describe, but it’s like reading about their attempt to solve the mystery of who killed Colonel José Parrales Sonriente; although us as readers already know who it was by the end of the first chapter.
Thus far, I am most intrigued by Miguel Angel Face. (“He was as beautiful and wicked as Satan.”) It is quite clever of Asturias to constantly repeat this description of Angel Face as if to remind readers of his two sides. First off, his name. I can’t help but wonder why Asturias chooses to use the same name as his own, Miguel Angel. It couldn’t simply be coincidence, could it? Perhaps Asturias is trying to point out similarities between the character and himself. The juxtaposition of looking like an angel (and having Angel as his name), as claimed by the wood-cutter (27-29), and of looking like Satan. These contrasting opinions have prevented me from being able to create an image of this character in my mind. I felt that in the beginning of the book, Angel Face appeared to be a very polite, respectable, and composed gentleman. However, as the story progresses, we begin to see the internal conflict of this character and he comes into contact with Camila. I am definitely looking forward to what happens with his character.
Secondly, my first impressions of the President are not as bad as what I would have thought. Though I can see evidence of the violence and aspects of dictatorship, I also feel like he is in some ways a sincere man. My reasons for this include his condolences and three hundred pesos that he sends to the widow of the “swine” (though, yes, he was the one who ordered him to be given two hundred lashes which resulted in his death), I felt as if he actually cared enough to provide her with money for the funeral instead of leaving her high and dry. (37) Also, he seemed to show a very subtle concern for the unknown man (the Zany) who was beaten up in the streets as Angel Face was telling him about it. (38)
I very much like how Asturias names all the characters with different by unique names, such as the Zany, the Mosquito, the Widower, Flatfoot. However, I am surprised and wonder why is it that Angel Face is known as “the favourite,” and not “the Favourite?” (Or perhaps this is of no relevance whatsoever and I am simply overanalyzing.)

2 comments:

lparisotto said...

Hey, nice analysis. Interesting comment on the duality of Angel Face, I like how you saw the intrigue between his name (Angel), and being more wicked than Satan. I think that is something to keep in mind for the next parts of the book. So far he seems loyal in his deceptiveness, but I guess we'll find out.

Baysee said...

I found your analysis very interesting too! So far Miguel Angel Face seems to be a pretty positive character in my opinion but why did Asturias commented that how he is wicked as Satan as Satan represents evil... ?